Miss Zippy is asking us to talk about our year of running (and for me triathlon too) in 2012. I thought it would be fun to play along!
- Best race experience? I have two best race experiences. Ironman Canada was a pretty amazing experience. You feel like such a rock star as all of the amazing spectators and volunteers cheer you on. Early on in the year I wasn't sure if I'd be able to race it thanks to a weird swollen knee that took a long time to heal. It was a tough day out there and I hope I never come that close to flirting with the cutoffs again, but that didn't take away from the experience. I am thankful that I was able to race the 30th anniversary of the race and the last ever Ironman Canada in Penticton. I also thought that running the Tower of Terror 10 Miler with my huband was a pretty great experience. We had a lot of fun out there together. I was happy to share my love of racing with him, and happy that he enjoyed the race and felt really good. We ran every step together and I don't think the grins ever left our faces. Maybe my husband will catch the racing bug and we can do a few more events like this together!
- Best run? Hands down, my awesome 17 miler from this past weekend. I've struggled to feel like the runner I used to be back in 2009 and 2010 when PRs were abundant and I was enjoying every run. While it will take some time to get my pace back to where it was I'm enjoying running again. Thank goodness since I'm running five days a week! On my run this weekend I truly felt the joy of being out there. My final few mile splits were just as good as the ones from early in the run. I didn't fade near the end. I felt like everything just all came together. I love it when that happens!
- Best new piece of gear? I haven't purchased new running tights in awhile so I figured some new ones were in order this year. I decided to give CW-X tights a try for the first time. I absolutely love them. They feel so supportive on my long runs. I've noticed my recovery from my long runs has improved since I've started wearing them. The Insulator Stabilyx tights have also kept me warm on very chilly days here in Calgary. I'll be looking to add some capris to my collection next year for spring/summer/fall wear!
|image via Team Estrogen|
- Best piece of running advice you received? While maybe it isn't specific to running, it is to make sure to foam roll! Sure, rolling hurts so it is easy to put it off. I've really noticed that the little niggles, aches and pains go away if I'm being a diligent roller.
- Most inspirational runner? My mom is an inspirational runner without a doubt! I got her hooked on Disney races back in 2007 when we ran the Go Red for Women 5K together at the Minnie Marathon weekend. Since then she's run countless half marathons and in January 2013 she'll be going for her third Goofy Challenge! What else makes my mom an inspirational runner? Who trips coming out of Cinderella's castle during the Disney Marathon, gets a black eye, keeps running and narrowly misses a PR? My mom. Who drinks a beer at mile 25 of a marathon (the marathon that is day 2 of the Goofy Challenge). My mom. Yup, my mom rocks.
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Back on track.